Wild Arts Walk
Sandhill Crane Festival
Our Photo Album
1300 College Road
Fairbanks, AK 99708
Visitor Center Hours
*WINTER* Schedule: Saturdays 12 Noon-4:00 PM
and during programs.
Creamer's Field Refuge and trails are open 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
This document was last modified on:
WHO WE ARE
Friends of Creamer's Field is a community-based, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (Tax ID# 92-0137107) dedicated to providing educational opportunities and family programs at Creamer's Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge. The refuge comprises approximately 2,200 acres of fields, woods, and wetlands in the Fairbanks North Star Borough. The front field area and the Alaska Department of Fish and Game Buildings are located on the northern edge of the City of Fairbanks.
Our Mission is "Inspiring environmental stewardship and lifelong learning through experience, awareness and appreciation of the natural and historical resources of Creamer's Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge"
Our volunteers staff the Farmhouse Visitor Center, provide guided Nature Walks and organized Educational Events throughout the year.
Although we work closely with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, the state agency that manages the refuge, our visitor center and educational activities are funded solely by grants, memberships, gift shop sales, and our many generous contributors.
HOMES FOR WILDLIFE
The various Creamer's Refuge habitats offer homes for a diversity of animals. but its special role is for stopovers and summer use of migratory birds. Even though some birds such as Canada Geese, Northern Pintail Ducks, and Golden Plovers stay for only a short time, they depend on Creamer's Refuge to feed and rest each spring and fall during their migration. Other birds such as Sandhill Cranes, Northern Shoveler Ducks, and Mallard Ducks may remain the whole summer. Visitors enjoy excellent bird watching spring through fall.
Creamer's Refuge appeals to other types of wildlife as well. Visitors frequently spot Moose meandering through the forest, Snowshoe Hares nibbling on willows, Red Squirrels chattering or a Red Fox pouncing on a variety of Voles living in the fields. Woodchucks (Groundhogs, Marmots) are frequently seen near the Farmhouse and Barns and have burrows near Jusilla Creek. The only amphibian in Interior Alaska, the Wood Frog, can be found breeding in the seasonal pond in the spring and later in the Boreal Forest. Any standing water becomes home to hungry hordes of mosquitoes as the summer progresses.
As the Nome, Alaska gold rush at the turn of the century was winding down, Belle and Charles Hinckley brought three of their cows and some horses from Nome by steamboat and sternwheeler to the small outpost of Fairbanks to operate a dairy. They paid for their passage by selling milk to the other passengers. On the last leg of the journey, they met and became friends with the Creamers, another pioneer family on their way to Fairbanks. Charles Hinckley's sister, Anna, later married Charlie Creamer in Fairbanks. In 1928 Charlie and Anna Creamer purchased the dairy from the Hinckleys and continued to develop, enlarge, and operate it until 1966. It was the largest and most successful dairy in the interior of Alaska.
In 1977, the farmhouse, barns, and surrounding 12 acres were listed in the National Register of Historic Places of the National Park Service.
Wikipedia Listing of Historic Places on the National Register in the Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska.
CREATION OF THE REFUGE
As the dairy grew over the years, migratory waterfowl congregated at Creamer's Field in increasing numbers. The grain and large open fields provided prime habitat. When the dairy went up for sale in 1966, local residents met to plan a way to purchase the property. Along with money raised by the community, the State legislature provided funds (25%) to match with the federal government's Pittman-Robertson funds (75%) to purchase the 250 acre farm. Management was given to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADFG). In 1970 an adjacent 1500 acres of state land was added and the entire parcel was designated "Creamer's Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge" in 1979. Since that time, additional acreage has been added to the Refuge, bringing its total size to about 2200 acres.
For questions about our programs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 907-452-5162.
This document was last modified on: