Our featured speaker will be Michael Forsberg,
a nature photographer based in Lincoln Nebraska.
CraneFest 2013 - Schedule soon.
Unless otherwise indicated, all events start at the Farmhouse.
CraneFest 2012 - Schedule of Events
Friday, August 24
7 pm - 9:30 pm Reception for George Archibald, poster signing event (Iris Sutton, poster artist), and continuation of Crane Art Show at Alaska Bird Observatory
10:00 pm Outdoor Slide Show entitled "Crane Experiences" presented by George Archibald on the BroadSide Theater of the Creamer's Field Barns
Saturday, August 25
- 8:00 am Bird banding featuring live songbirds at ABO's bird banding station, starting from the Farmhouse
- 10:00 am Nature walk with George Archibald
- 11:00 am- 1:30 pm Brunch with the Cranes at the Farmhouse. Enjoy healthy food and live music. ($10 donation per person).
Includes a book signing event with local authors.
- 11:30 am Crane Calling Contest for kids and adults. Coloring contest awards
- 12:00 pm Kids Crane Walk. Join a naturalist for a leisurely walk with kids of all ages.
- 1:00 pm Beginning Nature Photography Workshop. Joyce Kelso will offer advice for capturing great photos of cranes.
Bring your camera.
- 3:00 pm eBird Workshop. Alaska Audubon's Beth Peluso will teach you how to use eBird and then you will take a walk to try it out.
- 5:00 - 7:00 pm Tex-Mex Dinner, fund-raiser for Camp Habitat. ($10 per person donation suggested.)
7:30 pm George Archibald talks about "Cranes in the Arctic" in Wedgewood Resort's Taiga Center, 212 Wedgewood Drive, located next to Antique Car Museum. ($5 donation suggested).
Raffle drawing for Alaska Air tickets.
Sunday, August 26
- 7:00 am Local Birding tour with Jim DeWitt. Meet at ABO to car pool and visit local birding hotspots.
- 10:00am - 11:30am Cranes, Coffee, and Croissants. Join George Archibald for a cuppa and nature walk starting from the Alaska Bird Observatory. ($5 donation suggested)
- 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm Drawing Cranes Workshop with Mark Ross. Bring pencils and sketchbook.
- 2:00 pm Live Birds of Prey - Local falconer Randall Compton will bring his trained birds and share his knowledge.
3:30 - 5:30 pm Crane Research Talks - inside the Alaska Fish and Game Building
3:30 pm Nina Faust (Homer) will show her brand new video "Raising Kid Colt" and talk about the nesting pair on her property near Kachemak Bay, Alaska.
4:30 pm George Happ will present " Crane Dancing takes Brains" with Christy Yuncker Happ's photos of a crane couple that has nested near Fairbanks for over a decade.
- 4:00 pm Kids Hopper Hunt - Searching for insects with kids of all ages.
- 5:00 pm Wildlife Photography Workshop with Joyce Kelso.
- 6:00 - 7:30 pm Ice Cream Social - Enjoy ice cream with Craneberry toppings and music you can dance to.
- 6:30 pm Silent Auction Closes - You need not be present to win.
- 6:45 pm Membership Meeting for Friends of Creamer's Field. Everyone is welcome.
Related Event - Thursday, August 30, 4:00 pm
George Archibald presents his talk on "Cranes of the World" in Room 501 of UAF's Akasofu Building (IARC) on West Ridge.